Sunday, June 30, 2013

P.H.L.O.P

It's worth pointing out that this game's title stands for "Physics Has Limitless Observable Possibilities," which is ironic for 2 reasons.

First is just the simply fallacious nature of the title.  I don't know much about physics, but I do know that there is in fact a finite set of observable phenomena and anyone who says differently is just a Michio Kaku wannabe who tries to sound smart with fancy semantics.

But before we get too off-track, on to point two: this game's physics engine (which is what the entire game is based on) is broken.  At any given moment, the marble that you're trying to guide to a goal can drop straight through the tracks you've set up with no warning.  So I guess in the contrived world of P.H.L.O.P, physics has a still limited, but vastly less so, set of observable possibilities.

But if the game were playable, how would it hold up?  Not badly, I suppose.  It's a puzzle game where there is more than one right answer to any given problem, which is always a plus in my book.  With the exception of the partially intangible blocks, everything behaves like you'd expect it would, so I guess this game is pretty well put together otherwise.

and...that's it.  It was a clever concept with good overall design that just needed a little more polishing and playtesting before it was ready to be called a "good game."

That's all I got for now.  Until next time, stay limitless

Links
Unfortunately Named Flop (see what I did there?): https://www.digipen.edu/?id=1170&proj=410

No comments:

Post a Comment