Saturday, April 20, 2013

Gobs of Color

If you've read my Claustrophere review, you probably know that I'm a big fan of the "inevitable demise" story framework.  Of course it won't work for every game, but there's something about fighting your hardest in a fruitless battle that just brings up all sorts of introspective thought, at least to me.  Why do I keep fighting even though I know this war zone will be my grave?  Would it not be more moral and logical to simply lay down my weapon and spare the lives of my enemies, who will win the day regardless of their casualties?  What am I fighting for in the first place? Who am I, even?

In the case of Gobs of Color, that questioning process goes something like this:  "Why d-" and then you're dead.

Gobs of Color  is a short, Asteroids-esque shooter with a difficulty curve that will beat you senseless. Each of my playthroughs lasted less than a minute before I was consumed by the pastel-colored space monstrosity.  If there was ever any thought in your mind that I confuse "frustration" with "extreme difficulty," let this review put those worries to rest.  This is perhaps the most difficult game on the list so far, and never once did it get frustrating.

What I like most about this game is that it scores you on two separate things that are only tangentially related: score and time survived.  See, the only way to rack up points is to shoot the Crayola globules, but doing so makes them explode and spread out, making them more likely to hit you and chip away your health.  Thus, the game allows for two distinct types of playstyles: pacifism and aggression. What's better is that it's completely up to the player to decide which playstyle is preferable...huh, maybe this game is deeper than I initially thought.

This game is short, sweet, unique (kind of), and challenging.  It definitely gets my seal of approval and it's perfect for anyone who needs some quick sensory stimulation after a mentally draining stretch of homework or filing taxes or what have you.

That's all for now.  Until next time, stay colorful and gelatinous.

Links
Space Play-doh: https://www.digipen.edu/?id=1170&proj=8724

No comments:

Post a Comment