Saturday, January 19, 2013

Ballocks

Well this was...strange.

I think the best course of action here would be to just recount my play experience.  The first thing I notice is that the game is only 7MB.  Wary of this, I start up the game and am greeted to a wonderful background track and a demonstration of the stylized, cell-shaded 3D aesthetic to come.  Suddenly, a crude pencil drawing of a panda emerging from a chicken egg appears to give me its salutations and then swiftly disappears into the night, never to be seen again.

Ignoring that, I click the play button and am brought immediately to a server menu.  "Exciting!" Thought I, wondering which of the many servers to choose from.  I could pick:
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
oh, here's a fun one: N/A
N/A
N/A
or N/A

Since none of these obviously functional servers responded to my click, I figured the best course of action would be to click "host" and hope the game was courteous enough to include some AI for me to whack about.

Sadly, no such thing happened, and I was left in an empty world rolling around merrily and zapping the occasional environmental block.

You know what's strange, though?  I still kind of like this game.  I definitely recommend it more highly than I would Bacon Pirates in Space or many other on this list.  You won't get more than a minute or two of playtime out of it, sure.  But bouncing, rolling and zapping my way through an empty, cell-shaded planet has and odd kind of appeal to it.  It offers a much more low-key catharsis than Attack of the 50ft Robot, which I consider gold star-worthy.

I wish there was more to say, but nope.  There's not.  Maybe if I can convince a bunch of my friends to download it and come over to my house, we can get a LAN game going.  Don't hold your breath, though.  That's pretty low on my list of priorities.

Until next time.  Stay bouncy.
Links
The game with the funny title: https://www.digipen.edu/?id=1170&proj=416

No comments:

Post a Comment